Saturday, November 24, 2012

Review: Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Foundation

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup in 110 Ivory

For about a year and a half before I purchased this foundation, I had been using Revlon Colorstay regular liquid foundation in Combo/Oily and then I switched to Normal/Dry formula. So before I go into reviewing this, I'll tell you about my skin type.
I used to believe I had combination skin, because my T-zone would get oily. But now I know that I have dry skin, with a bit of an oily T-zone. Because my regular Colorstay foundation in Combo/Oily would always look cakey on me, I switched to the Normal/Dry. This worked better.
So I have sort of acne prone skin. I get occasional breakouts on mostly my chin, and sometimes my forehead and cheeks. I have very dry patches around my nose, mouth and eyebrows. And my chin and forehead can get a little bit oily, but my major worry patch for greasiness is my nose. My pores are big around my nose and on my forehead. Does that cover every issue? I think so. Yes, my skin is kind of a pain. 

Anyway, so my Normal/Dry foundation would still look a bit cakey on me (even when applied with a damp sponge, which I do every day), so when I saw this I decided to pick it up and give it a go.

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation in 110 Ivory

I picked this up in the lightest shade, Ivory (that's the shade I usually am). From the pictures above, you can see what the packaging is like. This is a bulky, heavy and unnecessarily large glass jar. This contains 0.8 fluid ounces of product, so this has a lot of excess packaging. But for a drugstore product, it does feel rather fancy. 
This cost me around $15 CAD at my Wal-Mart, so this isn't very cheap.


When you open the jar and remove the white plastic protective covering, this is what you see. Creamy, whipped foundation. I was expecting the texture of this to be like the Maybelline Dream Mousse products, but it isn't. It's feels like a very thick liquid foundation. It sort of feels like a melted ice cream,or milkshake. 


swatch

As you can see, this is quite a yellow toned foundation, just like the original Colorstay. I have pink undertones, but this matches my skin rather well. But for people with very pink undertones (mine are more neutral), this may not match very well.
This foundation for me gives even more coverage than the original Colorstay. So for people looking for light coverage, look elsewhere, because this gives medium-heavy coverage. 

swatch, blended

It blends well, as you can barely see it in this picture here. 
I've seen other people say that this looks completely natural on the skin, so there must be something wrong with my skin, because this still looked cakey when I put it on with my fingers. So I started using a damp sponge again, and that works better for me. This looks less natural on my skin than liquid Colorstay, but it does deliver more coverage. 

This foundation claims to wear for 24 hours, but it doesn't for me. It wears down a bit after 13 hour days, but for people with oilier skin, it will wear even less. 


Overall:

Packaging: The jar this comes in is pretty bulky and heavy. It could definitely been toned down to be more compact. And also, you have to dip your fingers into this day after day. After awhile, bacteria is going to build up in there. 

Colour: This is a very yellow toned foundation. For me, this isn't a big issue, but for some with very pink undertones, it might present a problem. This foundation is available is 12 shades, and it is part of their permanent line.

Formula: As previously mentioned, the consistency of this is very thick, creamy Cool-Whip sort of texture. It blends and wears well on my face, but still looks slightly cakey on me. It has a lot of coverage, and when blended, feels quite light on the skin. It definitely gives a matte finish on me, but for oilier skin, it may appear more dewy.
Another note, this doesn't have SPF in it. That being said, I have seen some reviews where they mention having an SPF 20, but my particular jar doesn't have any.

Longevity: Like I said, I can get around 12-13 hours of wear out of this, but not near 24. I find that a bit of an excessive claim.

Claims: This product claims to wear for 24 hours, and while I've already touched base on that, it also claims to provide buildable and full coverage (which it does. Good job, Revlon), and to have a soft matte finish all day long. It does that, too but not the "all day long" part. 

My Rating: 8.5/10
This isn't the best foundation I've ever used, nor is it the worst. I knocked off some marks because of the bit of cakey ness on skin, but that may just be me. It has more coverage than original Colorstay, but looks less natural.
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this foundation, and I think on people with normal or oilier skin and yellow tones, this would look great! But I do enjoy wearing  it on own skin, too.

Thanks for sticking to the end of this pretty long post!!



Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment